OVERSEAS DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTE
Senior Research Fellow – Humanitarian Policy Group
Salary: Senior Research Fellow : £49,721- £62,944
The UK’s leading independent think tank on international development.
ODI (www.odi.org.uk) aims to inspire and inform policy and practice to reduce poverty by locking together high-quality applied research and practical policy advice.
Our Humanitarian Policy Group (HPG) is one of the world’s leading teams of independent researchers and information professionals working on humanitarian issues. It is dedicated to improving humanitarian policy and practice through a combination of high-quality analysis, dialogue and debate. We are looking for a Senior Research Fellow with world class knowledge of humanitarian policy issues to lead one or more strands of our research and policy development on conflict analysis and humanitarian responses, as set out by HPG’s upcoming Integrated Programme for 2017-2019.
Recent highlights include:
Foreign policy and humanitarian action: an agenda for inquiry (HPG Working Paper, November 2016)
Closing borders: the ripple effects of Australian and European refugee policy. Case studies from Indonesia, Kenya and Jordan (HPG Working Paper, September 2016)
Time to let go: Remaking humanitarian action for the modern era (HPG Working Paper, April 2016)
You will join a dynamic team of researchers, policy experts and communications professionals, and will support the Head of HPG in helping to drive a multidisciplinary and innovative research programme through strategy development, fundraising, research, policy engagement and public affairs.
About the job:
- Research and fundraising work: conducting high-quality, applied research, and seeking external funding for research proposals
- Policy advice, public affairs and dissemination: represent ideas, knowledge and research findings to relevant policy makers and practitioners
- Project management: implementation and management of research, advisory and public affairs projects, including staff and other team members
You will have:
- Extensive experience in conflict analysis and deep knowledge of key issues and organisations in humanitarian assistance and development
- Experience in policy-oriented research, demonstrated by an extensive track record of publications and reports;
- Extensive developing-country experience;
- Strong analytical skills, a capacity to write clearly, and excellent organisational and oral communication skills
- A demonstrated capacity for policy advisory or public-affairs work, based on an analytical approach, and an innovative and creative communications ability.
- An ability to translate research ideas into fundable projects
- A demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
Closing date: 9 March 2017
Interview Date: 15 March 2017
For more information, please download an application pack from our website at www.odi.org.uk/jobs If you are experiencing difficulties downloading, please telephone 020 7922 0394 or you can send an email to email@example.com
ODI is an equal opportunities employer Charity Reg. No.228248