OVERSEAS DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTE
Research Officer – Social Protection
Salary: Research Officer: £27,601 - £32,925 per annum
Senior Research Officer: £32,926 - £39,306 per annum
The UK’s leading independent think tank on international development and humanitarian issues.
ODI (www.odi.org.uk) aims to inspire and inform policy and practice to reduce poverty by locking together high-quality applied research and practical policy advice.
We are seeking to appoint a Research Officer to join ODI’s Social Protection Programme. Under the supervision of Research Fellows, the post holder will contribute to designing and delivering innovative, high-quality and policy-relevant research, policy advice and public-affairs initiatives. You will contribute to policy research and advisory projects, engage with policymakers in research and advisory processes, and disseminate results. The work will require a knowledge of social protection to provide inputs into ongoing research projects such as literature reviews, interviews, data analysis and preparing reports. You will also be required to contribute to the development of research proposals, to disseminate research in a variety of ways, and to provide project management support.
ODI’s Social Protection Programme (www.odi.org/programmes/social-protection) is a multidisciplinary research and advisory programme, focusing on social protection and social policy. It supports the design and implementation of effective social protection through high-quality applied research and provides policy advice on key issues in social protection, mainly in low- and middle-income countries. Recent work by the team includes analysis of social protection and employment, the distributional impact of taxes and transfers, policy options to extend social protection to marginalised and excluded groups, the effectiveness of social protection in a crisis, and a review of the evidence on the impacts of cash transfers.
- A degree and post-graduate degree in relevant discipline (e.g. social policy, development studies, economics)
- Knowledge of key issues in social protection (for example, targeting, instruments, financing)
- Active knowledge of key international institutions in the sector and beyond
- Experience in producing research outputs on social protection
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to negotiate successfully and cultural awareness
- Excellent analytical and writing skills
- Good presentation and networking skills
- Multitasking skills
- Excellent IT skills (Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Ability to work in a team
- Willingness to travel on a frequent basis, which may include overnight and weekends on occasion
- Ability to work on own initiative
Closing date: 19 February 2017
Interview date: 10th March 2017
For more information, please download an application pack from our website at www.odi.org.uk/jobs. If you are experiencing difficulties downloading, please telephone 020 3327 7290 or email email@example.com.
ODI is an equal opportunities employer Charity Reg. No.228248