OVERSEAS DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTE
Research Fellow – Economics of Adaptation, Disaster Risk and Resilience
Salary: Research Fellow 1: £37,403 - £46,627pa or Research Fellow 2: £47,313 - £59,026pa
The UK’s leading independent think tank on international development and humanitarian issues.
ODI (www.odi.org.uk) aims to inspire and inform policy and practice to reduce poverty by locking together high-quality applied research and practical policy advice.
We are looking to appoint a Research Fellow focused on the Economics of Adaptation, Disaster Risk and Resilience.
ODI’s work on climate change spans almost all of the Institute’s programmes, anchored by a core of 25 experts in our Climate Change, Environment and Forests (CCEF) programme. We aim to support climate-compatible development and poverty reduction through high quality research, analysis and debate. Our work on climate change is organised around three themes: Adaptation and Resilience, Climate Finance, and Growth and Resources.
Our Adaptation and Resilience team investigates the concepts of resilience, adaptive capacity and risk management from different disciplinary perspectives. Strong emphasis is placed on understanding the linkages between adaptation and resilience, alongside issues of power, politics, economics and governance. This includes, for example, exploring how risk management operates in conditions of conflict and insecurity and how adaptation finance is managed and used at national and sub-national levels. ODI research is playing a key role in providing appropriate tools and information to decision-makers at all levels of governance. The team is also playing a critical role in shaping the post-2015 international policy landscape.
Responsibilities of the role include:
• Research and policy advisory work: conducting high-quality, innovative research
• Fundraising: attracting funds through bids and marketing, including the development of a substantial personal research portfolio
• Public affairs: disseminating and promoting ODI’s work and ideas on climate change, risk and resilience.
Above all, you have a passionate commitment to climate change adaptation, disaster risk, and resilience in a development context, backed by in-depth experience and skills. You have:
• Knowledge of key economic issues and organisations in climate change, adaptation, risk, resilience and development issues
• Experience in policy-orientated research, demonstrated by a track record of publications and reports
• Developing country experience
• Strong analytical skills, a capacity to write clearly, and excellent organisational skills and oral communication skills in English
• A demonstrated capacity for policy advisory and public-affairs work, based on an analytical approach and an innovative and creative communications ability
• Proven ability to translate research ideas into fundable projects.
Closing date: 17th April 2013
For more information, please download an application pack from our website at https://jobs.odi.org.uk and apply online. If you experience difficulties downloading the pack, please telephone 020 7922 0351 or email email@example.com
ODI is an equal opportunities employer Charity Reg. No.228248